Cross Grip Ankle Pick
The cross grip ankle pick is exactly what it sounds like. Your crip? Across. Your takedown? The ankle pick. Travis Stevens, 2016 Olympic Silver Medalist, takes us through a pretty straight forward, yet very effective takedown in this video. Getting a leg up (sometimes literally) on your opponent means thinking faster and better than they do. The cross grip ankle pick is no exception to that rule. It is super important to have an arsenal of takedowns that you can call upon at a moment’s notice if need be.
The trick to this one? Well just drill it over and over again! There is nothing particularly special about this technique, just that it gets the job done! So work on it bit by bit on the mats and with a good training partner. Then try it out at faster and faster speeds. Let us know how it goes!
For now, take a look at the step by step details of the cross grip ankle pick
The Key Details
- Make sure you’ve locked down your opponent’s wrist. They will try to counter and grab you, don’t allow for any hint of that. Anticipate and lock down any chance they have to grab back. Control the wrist! It’ll make the rest of this much easier.
- Establish your cross grip on your opponent’s opposite side collar.
- Step hard through your opponent’s legs. This will knock them off balance and allow you to control the setting.
- Let go of the wrist and pivot your foot (the one you stepped hard with). This will allow your body to open up and turn toward the ankle in question.
- While maintaining the cross grip, drive your pivoted knee to the outside of your opponent’s foot. This will enable to you take them down while still holding control.
A Final Thought
Pretty simple right? Remember, takedowns don’t have to be super flashy or beautiful in order to work. They just have to be effective. Always have an arsenal at your disposal. And drill drill drill! Take a look at how to build leg strength effectively for the grappler at FujiFit, and let us know if you have any questions!